Thursday, December 6, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookies with White Chocolate Peppermint M&M's

I'm setting a personal record this year.


    
I am almost DONE with my holiday shopping. For real. This is a big deal people. HUGE. I am the biggest procrastinator ever. I usually find myself scrambling to find suitable gifts for friends and family members on December 23rd! Dragging my tired/ dazed self through the crowds at the mall to find something... anything! But this year I was inspired to take advantage of black Friday (week) sales, and by December 2nd I'd already checked off 90% of my list.

Sigh...

Don't you just LOVE checking things off of lists? Best feeling.


All that's left now is to find something for the boyfriend. And with everyone else out of the way, I think I can handle that. The real question is, where best to hide it? There has been a little battle going on between us each year over who can find the best gift-hiding spot in the apartment (as in, who can find what the other person got them before December 25th). I haven't won yet. Although, I did get one over on him last year via strategic wrapping. Want to confuse a loved one on Christmas morning (who doesn't)? Put a gift card in a big box, along with a few 3 pound dumbbells  and some newspaper. Wrap it all up. I know its an old trick, but the look on their face will be priceless. Hehee.


If you think this means I also saved boatloads of money by shopping the sales this holiday season, think again. No Sir. I took my shopping savings and got tickets to see ELF THE MUSICAL in Seattle next weekend!!!! You'll have to excuse me, but I am pretty much bursting with excitement. If I'm not in the Holiday spirit yet, I sure will be after that. And really, I just heart musicals of any kind.


I've also made a considerable dent in my baking to do list and people... listen. This is the best chocolate chip cookie recipe I've ever tried. They are perfection. If you like your cookies fluffy and doughy, then you must make these RIGHT NOW. What are you waiting for? Go!

Now... if you like your cookies flat and crispy, with the chips rising up over a little puddle of "dough"... Well, I'm just not sure we can be friends anymore. So hopefully you will try these and see the light.  

For our friendship.



Got a work potluck or family gathering coming up? I'm sure you do. Make these. They're simple, yes. But they will disappear so fast.

Mix in whatever you please - whether that's chocolate chips and M&M's, toffee bits and pretzels, or pecans and dried cranberries. Anything goes. Whatever you do, just make sure you share ;)








Chocolate Chip Cookies

Adapted from How Sweet It Is.

Makes about 36 Cookies.

Ingredients

2 Cups plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/2 Teaspoon baking soda
1/2 Teaspoon salt
3/4 Cup or 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, very soft*
1 Cup golden brown sugar
1/2 Cup granulated sugar
1 Egg
1 Egg yolk
2 Teaspoons vanilla extract
1 Cup chocolate chips, M&M's, or mix-ins of your choosing

* A note about the butter. Mine was at room temperature and I softened it even more by cutting it into cubes and microwaving until it juuuust starts to melt. Then creaming it with the butter right away. Jess says to melt it all the way and set in the fridge/freezer to cool. I think either way will work as long as the butter isn't completely liquid or hot at all.

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 325F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

2. In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugars until fluffy. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and whisk to combine. Gradually add the flour mixture - about a 1/2 cup at a time - until fully incorporated. Fold in the M&M's, chocolate chips, or whatever you choose. I used 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and 2/3 white chocolate peppermint M&M's!

3. Spoon cookie dough onto prepared pan, about 2 tablespoons dough per cookie. I used my new favourite kitchen utensil, my cookie scoop! Leave about 2 inches between cookies. You'll get about 12 per sheet, less if you make bigger cookies. Bake at 325 F for 12-15 minutes. Cookies will be puffed up and just starting to brown slightly around the edges. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack or plate.

Or burn your fingers/ mouth by cramming one into your face the instant you pull them out of the oven. I won't say I told you so.



2 comments: